Pedram Esfandiary is an attorney in the Los Angeles office of Baum Hedlund Aristei & Goldman, where he concentrates his practice on toxic tort injuries, pharmaceutical drug liability, class actions, consumer fraud litigation and police misconduct lawsuits.
He was an integral part of the trial team that won the historic $2 billion verdict against Monsanto (now Bayer) in May 2019 on behalf of a couple who together sprayed Roundup weed killer on their properties for 30 years. The jury in Pilliod, et al. v. Monsanto determined that Roundup exposure caused Alva and Alberta Pilliod’s non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and that Monsanto failed to warn the couple about the cancer risk associated with Roundup use. The jury awarded them $55 million in compensatory damages and $2 billion in punitive damages.
He also served in a similar capacity on the very first Roundup cancer case to go to trial against Monsanto, resulting in a $289 million verdict on behalf of groundskeeper Dewayne “Lee” Johnson. In addition, he participated in the second Roundup trial against Monsanto on behalf of Edwin Hardeman. The jury in that trial awarded Mr. Hardeman $80 million for his damages.
In recognition of his work in the Monsanto Roundup trials, Pedram has received well-deserved awards. He was selected as a winner on Law360’s Rising Stars Top 40 Under 40 list for 2019, which recognizes attorneys whose legal accomplishments transcend their age. Pedram has also been selected to Southern California Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars and the National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40.
He and other members of the Roundup trial teams in Pilliod, Hardeman and Johnson were also honored as Elite Trial Lawyers Mass Tort Law Firm of the Year finalists in 2020 by ALM and the National Law Journal, as well as the 2019 Trial Team of the Year 2019 by the National Trial Lawyers Top 100. At the end of 2020, the National Law Journal inducted Pedram and his colleagues into The Verdicts Hall of Fame and Law360 named them Product Liability Practice Group of the Year.
Various legal journals have top listed our landmark Roundup verdicts. The Daily Journal listed the $289M Johnson verdict among its top verdicts of 2018, the National Law Journal listed it in their Top 100 and Courtroom View Network listed it in its Top 10 Most Impressive Plaintiff Verdicts of 2018. Topverdict.com listed the $2B Pilliod verdict as #1 in California, #2 in the nation and the ninth largest verdict in history in 2019. The National Law Journal and the Daily Journal also recognized the Pilliod verdict in their top lists.
After the Johnson v. Monsanto verdict, UCLA School of Law, Emmett Institute on Climate Change & the Environment, and The Resnick Center for Food Law & Policy, as well as Yale Law School’s Collaboration for Research Integrity and Transparency (CRIT) program, invited Pedram to speak about how the trial team won the verdict and what it means for the legal community and the environment.
Pedram joined Baum Hedlund in September 2016 as a law clerk and was hired as an attorney in December 2016 after passing the California bar exam. Before joining the firm, Pedram pursued a Master of Laws degree (his second post-graduate degree) at the University of Southern California Gould School of Law, where he was admitted on a merit scholarship.
During his time at USC, Pedram was Senior Editor of Los Angeles Public Interest Law Journal (LAPILJ), an independent collaboration of law students from Southwestern, Loyola, Pepperdine, UCLA, and USC. The journal is a platform for students, practitioners, and academics to address the structural inequalities within the legal system from the perspective of public interest. Contributors collaborate based on a shared concern for the adequate provision of legal services to disenfranchised groups.
Pedram’s interest in law was forged at the University of Birmingham Law School in the United Kingdom. He graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) and proceeded immediately to Nottingham Trent University in the U.K., where he received an M.A. degree in criminology.
While studying for his first master’s degree, Pedram was a Postgraduate Outreach Ambassador with the Schools, Colleges and Community Outreach program at Nottingham Trent University. As part of this position, he taught Farsi at a local after-school program that provides resources to disadvantaged communities around Nottingham.
Pedram also volunteered his time with The Outreach Program to host presentations and seminars at local disadvantaged secondary schools. These events highlighted the utility of learning a second language for the purposes of entering higher education with transferable skills and knowledge of other cultures in an increasingly diversified U.K.
- Class Action Litigation
- Complex and Multi-District Litigation
- Consumer Fraud Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Police Misconduct and Civil Rights
- Prescription Drugs
- Pharmaceutical Drug Product Liability
- Zantac Cancer Lawsuit
- Toxic Torts
- University of Southern California USC Gould School of Law (LL.M, 2016)
- Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham, United Kingdom (M.A. Distinction Grade, in Criminology, 2014)
- University of Birmingham Law School, Birmingham, United Kingdom (LL.B 2013)
- California, 2016
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2017
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 2017
Awards and Honors
- California Power House, Law360 Regional Powerhouse Series, 2021
- Product Liability Practice Group of the Year 2020, Law360
- 2020 Elite Trial Lawyers Mass Torts Law Firm of the Year, Finalist, ALM and National Law Journal
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40
- Verdicts Hall of Fame Inductee, The National Law Journal and VerdictSearch
- Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch
- Top 40 Under 40 Law360 Rising Stars, 2019
- Number 1 Verdict in California in 2019, Topverdict.com (Pilliod et al. v. Monsanto Co.)
- Top 10 Verdicts in California in 2019, Topverdict.com (Pilliod et al. v. Monsanto Co.)
- 2019 Elite Trial Lawyers Mass Torts Trial Team of the Year, The National Law Journal and The Trial Lawyer Magazine
- Trial Team of the Year 2019, The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- Daily Journal Top Verdicts, 2018
- Selected: Southern California Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars, 2019 – 2020
- CVN’s Top 10 Most Impressive Plaintiff Verdicts of 2018
- Number 1 Product Liability Verdict in California in 2018, Topverdict.com (Johnson v. Monsanto Co.)
- Top 10 Personal Injury Verdicts in the U.S. in 2018, Topverdict.com (Johnson v. Monsanto Co.)
- Top 100 Verdicts 2018, ALM, National Law Journal, Verdict Search (Johnson v. Monsanto Co.)
- Listed, The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™
- Senior Editor of Los Angeles Public Interest Law Journal (LAPILJ)
- Trial Team Member, Pilliod et al. v. Monsanto.Company (Roundup cancer verdict $2.055 billion), Oakland, California, 2019
- Trial Team Member, Dewayne “Lee” Johnson vs Monsanto Company (Roundup cancer verdict $289.2 million), San Francisco, California, 2018
- State Bar of California
- The American Association for Justice; Leaders Forum
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles
- Executive Board member, National Lawyers Guild of Los Angeles
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association
Legal Teaching Position
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Peoples College of Law, Los Angeles, California, 2020 - Present
Presentations / Speeches
Topic: Quick Hits on Mass Tort Projects - Toxic Baby Food Litigation
Organization: MTMP - Mass Torts Made Perfect
Event: MTMP Fall 2021 Seminar
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Date: October 13-15, 2021
Topic: Breaking Down the 1st Monsanto Roundup Trial and $289 Verdict
Date: May 4, 2020
Topic: Monsanto Litigation – Decades of Deceit
Organization: Students for Economic & Environmental Justice
Event: Expert Panel
Location: Berkeley Law School
Date: October 1, 2019
Organization: American Association for Justice
Event: AAJ Winter Convention – What’s Hot in Mass Tort Litigation
Location: Miami, Florida
Date: February 4, 2019
Organizations: UCLA School of Law, Emmett Institute on Climate Change & the Environment and The Resnick Center for Food Law & Policy
Event: Lunchtime Event
Location: UCLA Law Building, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law
Date: October 31, 2018
Topic: $289M Monsanto Roundup Verdict – Life After the Daubert Ruling and Johnson Trial
Speech Title: Trial Theme Overview
Organization: Harris Martin Publishing
Event: Half-Day Roundup CLE (Continuing Legal Education)
Location: Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, Santa Monica, California
Date: October 24, 2018
Organization: Yale University
Location: Yale University’s Greenberg Conference Center, New Haven, Connecticut
Date: September 17, 2018
- Quasi-legislative formal public hearing: California Environmental Protection Agency’s Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) hearing on the Proposed Rulemaking, Warnings for Exposures to Glyphosate from Consumer Products New Sections 25607.48 and 25607.49, September 9, 2021
- California Environmental Protection Agency’s Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) hearing on the proposed regulatory “Safe Harbor” No Significant Risk Level (NSRL) for glyphosate, June 7, 2017
Pro Bono and Civic Activities
- Executive Board member, National Lawyers Guild of Los Angeles
- Volunteer at Schools, Colleges and Community Outreach Program at Nottingham Trent University, U.K.
- Swedish (conversational)
Best Lawyers - Ones to Watch
Law360 Rising Stars
Law360 California Powerhouse
Elite Trial Lawyers
Verdicts Hall of Fame
Law360 Product Liability Practice Group of the Year
The National Top 40 Under 40
Number 1 Jury Verdicts
Top 10 Jury Verdicts
Super Lawyers - Pedram Esfandiary
The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
Leaders Forum - Patron
Top Jury Verdict in
CA and USA TopVerdict.com ranks our $2 billion verdict in Pilliod et al. v. Monsanto as the biggest verdict in California and the second largest verdict in the U.S. in 2019. It is the ninth largest verdict in U.S. history. Visit Website
Product Liability Practice Group of the Year In 2020, Law360 honored the law firms ”behind the litigation wins and major deals that resonated throughout the legal industry.” It recognized our success in several landmark cases.
Top Personal Injury Jury Verdict in California In 2018, our $289 million Johnson v. Monsanto verdict was the largest personal injury verdict in California. TopVerdict.com also ranked it #2 among all verdicts in California and #10 in the nation. Visit Website
Elite Trial Lawyers
Law360 Rising Stars
Top 40 Under 40
Super Lawyers- Pedram Esfandiary
Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
Leaders Forum- Patron