William Crawford Appleby IV is an attorney in the Los Angeles office of Baum Hedlund Aristei & Goldman. He concentrates his practice on transportation accidents, whistleblower cases, and qui tam claims.
Before joining Baum Hedlund, Crawford served for more than two years as a Law Clerk at the Los Angeles Superior Court. There, he acquired a broad range of experience in all aspects of civil litigation while drafting proposed tentative rulings and performing legal research and writing for many superior court judges. Crawford also served as a federal Judicial Extern for the Honorable R. Gary Klausner in the Central District of California during his first summer of law school.
Crawford honed his advocacy skills during law school when he was accepted into the Hobbs District Attorney Clinic where he conducted twenty felony preliminary hearings for the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office. He also represented professional licensing boards in administrative hearings as an extern for the California Department of Justice.
In addition, Crawford served as a Senior Technical Editor for the Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review. While on law review, he published a comment on United States Supreme Court case Rehberg v. Paulk, which is cited in Witkin Summary of California Law and Federal Grand Jury: A Guide to Law and Practice.
In his free time, Crawford enjoys running, skiing, golf, and tennis. He ran the 2010 Los Angeles Marathon to raise money for Make-A-Wish Foundation®.
- Aviation Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Complex and Multi-District Litigation
- Mass Disaster Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Qui Tam Claims
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Truck Accidents
- Wrongful Death Law
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles (Juris Doctor, 2013)
- Completion of Mediation Training, Center for Conflict Resolution, The Loyola Law School, 2012
- Boston University, Boston (Bachelor of Science, 2006)
- California, 2013
- U.S. Dist. Court, Central District of California, 2013
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2019
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 2019
Awards and Honors
- Selected: Southern California Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars, 2019 – 2020
- 2018 Elite Trial Lawyers, Finalists Consumer Protection, The National Law Journal
- Senior Technical Editor, Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review
- Certificate of Appreciation for service to the Licensing Section, State of California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General
- Listed, The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- State Bar of California
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles
- Recent Developments in Personal Jurisdiction for Aviation Cases, ABA TIPS Aviation and Space Law Newsletter: Winter 2020
- Preservation, Discovery, Subpoenas and Metadata: Court Rules, Case Law and Recent Developments, “Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Email and Smartphone Evidence: The Ultimate Guide”, National Business Institute seminar, January 2020
- Laying a Foundation: Real-World Scripts/Examples, “Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Email and Smartphone Evidence: The Ultimate Guide”, National Business Institute seminar, January 2020
- Pro-Plaintiff Decisions PostDaimler & Bristol-Myers, “Traversing the Minefield: Overcoming Procedural Obstacles in Aviation Cases”, ABA TIPS Aviation Litigation, October, 2019
- Stick Versus Puncture: Etihad Ends Causal Link Requirement between Mental and Bodily Injury in Montreal Convention Cases, American Association for Justice, Aviation Law: Summer 2018
- Using Agency Agreements to Pin Down Foreign Airlines in American Courts, American Association for Justice, Aviation Law: Winter 2018
- Liability of Airlines in Intentional Downing of Aircraft, American Association for Justice 2017 Annual Convention, July, 2017
- Understanding the ‘Sudden Illness’ Defense in California Courts, Daily Journal, December 6, 2016
- Pro-Plaintiff Decisions Post-Daimler, “Tips From Cockpit to Courtroom”, ABA TIPS Aviation and Space Law Committee meeting, November, 2016
- The Marital Privilege – Attorneys need to know the subtleties of marital privilege, a vital evidentiary rule. – California Lawyer, MCLE Evidence, August 26, 2016
- Current Issues of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and Drones, American Association for Justice 2016 Annual AAJ-PAPERS 44, July, 2016
- Rehberg and the Unintended Consequences of Immunity Uniformity, 46 Loy. L.A. L. Rev. 703 (2013)
- Selke v. Germanwings GmbH, 261 F. Supp. 3d 645 (E.D. Va. 2017) (Virginia court had personal jurisdiction over a German airline, involving Germanwings Flight 9525 from Barcelona, Spain to Düsseldorf, Germany, whose pilot committed suicide by crashing the plane into the French Alps and killing all 150 on board, because the airline sold its tickets to passengers that resided in Virginia through its authorized agent, United Airlines)
Elite Trial Lawyers NLJ and American Lawyer Media honor law firms and attorneys as Elite Trial Lawyers for their cutting-edge legal work on behalf of plaintiffs in practice areas ranging from mass torts to securities litigation.
Super Lawyers Rising Star- William Crawford Appleby IV
Bar Register Preeminent Lawyers The Bar Register is the definitive guide to the most distinguished law firms in America. It includes only those select law practices that have earned the highest rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory and have been designated by their colleagues as preeminent in their field.
Leaders Forum- Patron