The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) released their initial findings today on last week’s fatal plane crash at Wichita Mid-Continent Airport. According to the report, the Beechcraft King Air B200 plane never got higher than 150 feet off the ground before it crashed into a FlightSafety International building near the airport.

Three of the four who lost their lives in the crash have been identified. The victims include 48-year-old Nataliya Menestrina, 78-year-old Jay Ferguson and 53-year-old Mark Goldstein, who was piloting the plane. Menestrina and Ferguson, along with the unidentified fourth victim, were inside a flight simulator in the FlightSafety building when the crash occurred.

Six others in the building were injured. Only one of the injured victims remains under hospital care. He has been upgraded from serious condition to fair in the last few days.

Below are some of the other points listed in the NTSB report:

  • The plane was registered and operated by Gilleland Aviation Inc., out of Georgetown, Texas.
  • Pilot Mark Goldstein was scheduled to fly the plane to Mena, Arkansas.
  • Roughly 71 seconds into the flight, Goldstein declared an emergency to air traffic controllers, saying he had lost the plane’s left engine.
  • Witnesses saw the plane bank to the left at an altitude of less than 150 feet.
  • The landing gear was “down and locked,” the flaps were extended, the rudder was neutral and the right engine was at full power before impact with the FlightSafety International building.
  • Weather conditions at the time of the crash had wind speed at 18 miles per hour and visibility at 10 miles.

NTSB officials are currently examining the cockpit voice recorder to look for more clues. According to the Bellingham Herald, it could take upwards of a year to finish their investigation into the Wichita crash.

Related Posts:

MLB Player, Roy Halladay, Dies in Gulf of Mexico Plane Crash
Preliminary Report Released for Ted Christopher’s Fatal Plane Crash
Small Plane Crash in Colorado Kills Family of Four
Three Killed in Small Plane Crash Near Savannah